How To Enroll At Southwestern

1. General Admission Information

Southwestern has an open-door admission policy and welcomes students who wish to obtain a quality education. In general, students may enroll in classes if they meet any one of the following requirements and have the ability to benefit from instruction:

Are 18 years of age or older.

Have graduated from an accredited high school.

Have completed a General Education Development (GED) certificate or an Adult High School Diploma.

Were home schooled and have met state requirements for high school equivalency/completion.

Students in need of assistance with any part of this process, are encouraged to see the Admissions Office Staff in Dellwood Hall, room 4, or call 541.888.7636 or 800.962.2838, ext. 7636 to schedule an appointment. 

Si usted necesita mas ayuda, por favor, llame a Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) al tel´┐Żfono 541-888-7408 or 541-888-7407.

Students under the age of 18, who have not graduated from high school or earned a GED, should meet with an advisor/counselor and his or her parent(s), to fill out the "Underage Student Orientation to College" and "Underage Agreement" Forms. Please contact the Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) office in Stensland Hall or call 541.888.7405.

2. Complete An Application for Admissions

First-time students

Students taking 12 credits or more in a term, receiving financial aid and/or pursuing a degree or certificate are required to submit an Application for Admission.

Students taking less than 12 credits in a term or attending for personal interest only need to complete a Student Record form. The Student Record form is located in myLakerLink at Once the required information is submitted, please allow three working days to receive your user ID and password by email.

International Student Admission

Please visit the International Student Program page for more information. 

Special Admissions Programs

There are additional admission processes for restricted-entry courses, programs, and training opportunities which include:

These programs may require separate applications. Call the numbers indicated or the Admissions Office in Dellwood Hall, Room 4, 541.888.7636.

Curry County residents have three locations to contact for assistance, the Curry Campus, 96082 Lone Ranch Pkwy, 541-813-1676, the Gold Beach Campus, 29392 Ellensburg Ave, PO Box 590, 541-247-2741 and the Port Orford Campus, 541.332.3023.

Transfer Students

Transfer students who plan to complete a degree and/or receive financial assistance must complete the application process and have official transcripts sent to Southwestern. Course credits transferred from other accredited colleges or universities are evaluated in terms of equivalency to Southwestern courses and/or applicability to Southwestern programs. All credits used to calculate the cumulative grade point average (GPA) are transferred; however, some of the credits may not apply to a student's Southwestern program.

3. Apply For Financial Aid

All students interested in receiving any type of financial assistance, including loans, must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The application is available on line at Southwestern's school code is 003220.

Southwestern's Financial Aid office contacts students by mail for the next steps in the financial aid process. For further information visit us online at, at the Financial Aid office in Dellwood Hall, or call 541-888-7337.

Southwestern Fact
A FAFSA is required every academic year. Starting January 1, the FAFSA and the renewal FAFSA are available online at

All students seeking student loans must complete a FAFSA and must complete all the financial aid and loan steps.

Degree seeking students taking less than 12 credits in a term may still have financial assistance available to them. Complete the FAFSA and contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

4. Arrange for Housing

All full-time students have the privilege to live in Student Housing. Students who are from out-of-district or from out-of-state are required to live in housing during their freshman year. Living in student housing is the best way to ensure academic success, to collaborate with other students, faculty and staff and to get the full "college experience." Prospective residents must be 18 years of age before December 15 of the current academic year to live in housing. The room and board agreement and the housing application are available online.

Students who are required to live in student housing may request a waiver for exception from the Student Housing office. Pre-approved exemptions include having a dependent, being 21 years of age prior to the first day of class, being a veteran or transferring with 45 or more quarter credits. The college does not grant waivers for reasons other than those listed.

5. Take a Placement Test

The purpose of a placement test is to determine students' entry level for reading, writing, and math. Tests are given in the Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) office located in Stensland Hall between 8:15 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and take an average of two hours to complete. Students will receive a copy of their test results, and students' advisors will discuss the results with them as well as assist them in selecting classes based on their placement. Call ESPS located in Stensland Hall at 541-888-7371 for more information.

Applicants who have ACT/SAT scores may submit them to the Admissions Office in Dellwood Hall, Room 4 in lieu of placement testing.

6. Meet With an Advisor

Degree seeking students must see their advisor for the following term before they may register for the following term. Students will discuss their educational goals with their advisors and receive assistance planning their class schedules. Students should visit Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) in Stensland Hall if they need an advisor assigned. Students who are unsure of their educational goals may receive help from counselors to determine a college major and career goal.

7. Search For Classes

Register at myLakerLink online. Students may also receive assistance at the Student First Stop Center.

Visit the Southwestern Student First Stop Center in Dellwood Hall; Email or Call (541) 888-7352.

8. Pay for Classes

Current tuition and fees are listed online at under Cost of Attendance on the Financial Aid website and are responsible for payment. All courses carry a per credit tuition charge, per credit fee, and a per course fee.

Payment in full or a payment plan is required at the time of registration. Financial Aid students should verify their funding with the Student First Stop Center.

Southwestern Fact
Tuition for out-of-state students and Oregon resident students in the same.

9. Purchase Your Textbooks

The Southwestern Bookstore is the one-stop shop for students. It carries everything from new and used textbooks, computer accessories, and software, to art supplies and office supplies. A variety of snacks, clothes, Southwestern memorabilia, and gifts are also available.

If the Bookstore does not have what a student needs, they will order it right away!

The Bookstore is located in Stensland Hall. Business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the web at The Bookstore offers online purchasing as well.

10. Attend Orientation to College

New Student Orientation is held each year during the week before fall term begins and attendance is highly recommended. Visit Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) in Stensland Hall for more information.