Beverly Segner, counselor from the Coos Bay Campus, will be available to meet with students in Brookings, Gold Beach. and Port Orford on Monday, May 5. She is able to work with students on individual counseling, career counseling and goal setting. There is no cost to meet with a counselor.
If you would like to set up an appointment to see Beverly in Brookings, please contact Curry First Stop at 541-469-5017; to schedule an appointment in Gold Beach or Port Orford, contact the Gold Beach Center at 541-247-2741.
What do counselors offer?
Counselors are professionally trained to address personal issues, resolve academic anxieties, assist students in choosing career fields and majors, and problem solve other academic difficulties. With students on restricted academic or financial aid status, counselors work to develop individual success plans, which address the specific issues inhibiting academic success.
• Provide short term personal counseling for issues that may interfere with studies
• Facilitate decision making on educational and career goals
• Facilitate college adjustment for in-coming freshmen (homesickness, time management, depression, anxiety)
• Facilitate college adjustment for returning adult students (balancing roles of student, parent, spouse, and/or employee).
• Mediate conflicts in student housing
• Teach coping skills and stress management
• Provide crisis counseling
• Develop individualized retention interventions
• Interpret career inventories