Procedures for ADA Qualification
The following is a step by step procedure to verify a student's qualification for accommodations under Americans With Disability Act:
- Set up appointment for an intake interview with Tim Dailey, Dean of Student Services, 888-7439 or Susan Anderson, ADA Assistant at 888-7405.
- The intake interview will verify the student's disability. Verification is a diagnosis and/or test for the disability by a certified professional.
- The intake determines the "Nature of the Disability" and "Appropriate Accommodations" to be accorded the student. Many diagnosis have a prescription attached to the analysis.
- Notify the professors that his/her student qualifies for the following accommodations.
- Go over the student's responsibilities and classroom procedures to receive the accommodation(s).
- Communicate to the DSS Office any difficulties that may come up
Supplemental Class Rosters
All professors and instructors will receive an "Additional Class Roster" that lists the student's who qualify for an accommodation. The roster will explain that the following student qualifies for these accommodations: notetaker, extended time, separate testing area, etc.
The roster does not explain the type of disability
In order to qualify for accommodations, you must have been diagnosed by a professional who is certified in the area of diagnosis.