Welcome to Distance Learning at SWOCC!
Distance education classes at Southwestern provide you with the opportunity to take classes off campus in a time-independent manner. Using the Internet and eRacer students will receive weekly lectures, be able to complete assignments, be able to take assessments, actively participate in online discussions, follow web links to sites of interest for their class, and communicate, all in a virtual classroom setting. Successful distance learning students actively participate in class on a regular basis just like a face to face class. Taking courses through distance education is not easier, but it does allow more flexibility in your schedule, reducing travel time and bringing education to you wherever you are.
Online Proctor Information - Winter and SpringTerms
If you need to take a proctored online exam for a class, please visit the Online Proctoring Lab in the Tioga Building, Room 408. The lab hours are:
Friday 1pm-5pm (closed Friday of finals week)
Please note that the lab is not open the first week of the term.
If you have any questions about:
Paper/Pencil testing Contact: email@example.com
Am I Ready for Online Learning?
- Online Learning is a challenging learning format. Your success is directly tied to your effort and organization. You have to be proactive and ask questions as they come up.
- Online Learning requires a high level of motivation and self-discipline, and you may spend more hours on coursework than you would if you took the same course in a classroom.
How do you know if you are ready for online learning? To determine if online learning is right for you, please read the following five statements:
- I can organize my time well, even when managing multiple demands.
- I have good reading and writing skills.
- I use the Internet, e-mail and word processing software regularly.
- I can spend 10-15 hours a week on each class.
- I enjoy working independently.
- If you answered "yes" to most of these statements, online learning courses may be a good option for you. You need to be self-motivated and be able to express yourself in writing.
To find out further if online courses are for you, here are a couple of web sites that ask you some questions. Based on your answers, they will tell you if you are ready for an online course or not.
Self Evaluation for Potential Online Students A 12 question survey that is scored after you take it and gives you feedback about learning online.
Is Online Learning for Me? A 12 question survey with immediate feedback.
Check Southwestern's course schedule online in myLakerLink.
Registration for Winter term is open! Search for distance learning classes in myLakerLink.