General Loan Information
In order to apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan, follow the steps below:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov
- Complete additional paperwork requested by Southwestern
- Receive your Official Award Letter
- Southwestern loan borrower steps -
- Loan Entrance Counseling session
- Complete your Master Promissory Note
- If you have defaulted on a Stafford loan in the past at any institution (even if it has been resolved), you may not receive a new loan at Southwestern but can appeal the Financial Aid team and await their decision. This is part of Southwestern's Default Management program.
- If you have questions regarding this process, you may contact the by email.
- Once you have completed the term/year and your loan has ended, you will need to complete a
Loan Exit Interview. You will be provided with the appropriate paperwork once your loan is fully disbursed for the academic year.