Many library services and electronic databases are available online to the Southwestern distance learning student, whether the student is on or off campus.
- When not on campus, a current COASTLINE library card is needed to access some of the databases and to request books or media. Click on the COASTLINE library card application link above. Print the application and take it to a library in Coos County or mail it to: Southwestern Library, 1988 Newmark Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420 .
- To find an item, search COASTLINE. To reserve an item, place a hold request on the Coastline page.
- Books and media must be picked up and returned to the Southwestern Library. When students are registered through Curry county campus, items may be picked up and returned there.
- Distance learners may find it more convenient to check out materials from their local libraries. Try searching WorldCat.org to see if any local libraries have the resource you are seeking.
- You can decide to place an interlibrary loan to borrow books not in the Coastline catalog. Southwestern Distance learners, including Curry county students, requesting interlibrary loans must pickup and return items at Southwestern Library. Requesting interlibrary loans through your local library may provide faster service.
- Search EBSCOhost or other databases for full-text articles
- When the full-text of an article is not available on the databases, you may request an interlibrary loan for articles.
- Interlibrary loan articles that arrive in an electronic format can be emailed to you. Interlibrary loan articles that arrive in print form must be picked up at the Southwestern Library.
Professional librarians and staff are available during library hours to assist patrons in accessing a variety of print, non-print, and electronic information resources.
- Short, factual or statistical questions may be submitted by completing an online Reference Request Form.
- Answers can be expected within 1-7 days and delivered as patron has specified on form (phone, e-mail, FAX).
- This service is limited to Southwestern Distance learners and currently enrolled students, current faculty, and staff of the Southwestern college community in Coos and Curry counties.
- Longer research questions are best answered by coming to the library and consulting with a librarian or staff person.
Visit Southwestern's Distance Education Website