The Lakers of Southwestern heartily welcome you!
We hope to help you find out about yourself with assessments, goal setting and planning, and finally, doing things like:
- Improving Reading, Writing and Math skills
- Preparing for the GED test series
- Increasing Computer Literacy
- Making English Language skills better
- Getting ready to earn certificates and degrees
Expectations we have of your work:
- Act like a Laker, a grownup, this isn't a children's school
- 12 hours & “set” of classes minimum per week labs
- Prepare for class, work in class, supplemental work, lab work
- Testing practice: GED or Credit entry = COMPASS
- Student Folders: keeping notes on your work and plans
Updated every week, by staff
Students folders / Blue folders
They stay here at school and are for staff to know your details and plans – we can get other notebooks for homework.
Put your name on the folder and circle the network logon details on the front page. To complete the Welcome, finish everything on that list.
We want you at college at least 12 hours, between 1 and 5 days every week, and finally you must record progress and meet with staff, just like a check-in. But. Every. Week.
- Monday through Friday for classes and/or labs 8 – 5,
- Structured work on your own: here or at home,
- Monday & Wednesday evenings for anything/everything 6 – 9
Classes meet for about 90 minutes. We'll want you to go to 4 classes. On the very back page, record when you can come to class in the blue folder.
Completing the Welcome
It means finishing everything named on the first page of the blue folder which usually takes about 12 hours.
Completed students will be able to:
- Schedule classes
- Know the Facility
- Use supplements like Skillstutor
- Email a written introduction with photo
- Make a Writing Sample & Feedback
- Name a Learner Career Plan
- Name Barriers & Solutions
- Pass the GED Test Quiz explaining test basics, MyGED, Free Practice Tests, and OPTs
- Have a Laker Card and student number
- Finish a Welcome Evaluation