Coos Bay, OR – To protect the health and safety of our community and students, while continuing to support their success, Southwestern Oregon Community College will provide services by virtual means beginning Friday, March 20, through Sunday, April 5, 2020. During this time campus buildings will be closed to the public and visitors. Only essential staff will be allowed access.
We encourage the public and students to access services through phone and email.
Impacts to specific services:
- Campus Store – Available by phone (541) 888-7351 or e-mail [email protected] to answer order questions. Free USPS shipping.
- Student Recreation Center – Closed until further notice.
- Athletic Facilities – Closed until further notice.
- Library – Closed. On April 6, the library will be open only to students who need access to computers for wi-fi access or remote learning.
- Tutoring Center – Closed. On April 6, the center will be open only to those who need access to computers for wi-fi access or remote learning.
- Dining Services – Closed. “Grab-and-Go” meals will be available for students in housing.
During this closure, both campuses and all buildings will be deep-cleaned.
Spring term credit classes begin on Monday, April 6, 2020
Please plan to continue your education. All Southwestern classes will be online for spring term.
The college is delaying the start of spring term by one week to allow faculty time to prepare courses. Southwestern also will waive the $37 online course fee.
College staff is working remotely by phone and email to assist our students and community members. For enrollment help, please contact the following offices:
- To talk with an advisor Coos Campus: (541) 888-7405
- To talk with an advisor Curry Campus: (541) 813-1667
- To register for classes Coos Campus: (541) 888-7352
- To register for classes Curry Campus: [email protected]
- Student housing: (541) 888.7635, [email protected]
- Veterans Services: (541) 888-7236, [email protected]
- Financial Aid: (541) 888-7324 and (541) 888-1617, [email protected]
Please contact the following individuals if you are involved in one of the following hands-on learning programs to determine how those classes will be adjusted.
- Welding, Fire Science, EMT, Dental Assisting, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education – CTE Dean, Dan Koopman, 541-888-7312, [email protected]
- Nursing – Nursing Director Joannie Miller, 541-888-7342, [email protected]
- Oregon Coast Culinary Institute – Executive Director Randy Torres, 541-888-1546, [email protected]
Any on-campus interaction will adhere to strict social-distancing guidelines.
Student Housing remains open for students who must continue to live on campus. Dining Services will provide limited “Grab-and-Go” meals for students.
Coos Campus Library, and Computer Labs on both campuses will be open to assist only those students who need access to computer and virtual tutoring services. It will not be open to the general public. The college will follow social distancing and other state and federal requirements.
Community Education classes will not be held during the month of April.
Southwestern Oregon Community College staff remains in close contact with state officials about the developments with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. To find the most current information concerning the College, visit our Novel Coronavirus Updates webpage (https://mylakerlink.socc.edu/ICS/Administrative_Services/).