Southwestern's Board of Education
Citizens of the college district are represented in all aspects of the college operation by the Board of Education - seven men and women elected by the residents of the college district. The Board, assisted by four ex-officio Board members representing the students, faculty, and classified staff, determines the policies to be administered by the college President. A seven-member, appointed Budget Committee assists the Board with annual budget preparation.
Upcoming Board Meetings
Regular meeting - February 26, 2018 (6:00 p.m.)
Southwestern leads and inspires lifelong learning (Adopted June 26, 2006)
Southwestern Oregon Community College supports student achievement by providing access to lifelong learning and community engagement in a sustainable manner. (Adopted November 19, 2012)
CORE VALUES: (Revised March 23, 2015)
- Annual Report 2016
- Annual Report 2015
- Annual Report 2014
- Annual Report 2013
- Annual Report 2012
- Annual Report 2011
- Annual Report 2010
- Annual Report 2009
- Annual Report 2008
- Annual Report 2007
- Annual Report 2006
1988 Newmark Ave.
Coos Bay, OR 97420
Budget Committee & Calendar (additional materials regarding meetings can be found in the Meeting Materials section)
- 2017-18 Budget Calendar
- Budget Committee
- Budget Committee Application - THERE IS CURRENTLY A POSITION OPENING! Apply by 5 p.m. January 17!
BUDGET COMMITTEE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The Southwestern Oregon Community College Board is seeking applications for appointment to fill a vacant Budget Committee position with the term expiring June 30, 2018. Interested persons should contact the President's Office for an application or to download the form from the Board’s website at socc.edu/board.
Applications must be received in the President’s Office no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Interviews will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Monday, January 22, 2018. The first full Budget Committee meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Monday, May 7, 2018.
Southwestern Oregon Community College, Office of the President, 1988 Newmark Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420-2956
Questions? Contact Deb Nicholls at 541-888-7400 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Collaborate with the Southwestern Foundation Board to:
· Support the development of a Health and Science Technology building matching funds campaign
· Support and participate in Foundation activities
· Increase unrestricted donations
· Implement the College’s vision and goals
2. Advocate for Oregon community colleges by:
· Increasing attendance at the Legislative Session in Salem
· Participating in campus Legislative Teleforums during Session
· Establishing an ad-hoc committee for legislative support
· Enhancing Board member participation in community events
3. Investigate fostering and enhancing government-to-government relationships with federally recognized Tribes in the College’s district to develop a framework for how the College and these Tribes will continue to communicate and collaborate in the future.
4. Review and revise Board policy sections 8000-10000.
5. Work with administration to develop a long range vision (Master Plan), including deferred maintenance.
- Oregon Community College Association (OCCA)
- Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development (CCWD)
- ORS Chapter 341 (Community Colleges)
- ORS Chapter 192 (Public Meeting Laws)
- OAR Chapter 199 (Gifts)
- Oregon School Boards Association
- American Association of Community Colleges
- Association of Community College Trustees
Other Oregon Community colleges
- Blue Mountain Community College (Pendleton)
- Central Oregon Community College (Bend)
- Chemeketa Community College (Salem)
- Clackamas Community College (Oregon City)
- Clatsop Community College (Astoria)
- Columbia Gorge Community College (The Dalles)
- Klamath Community College (Klamath Falls)
- Lane Community College (Eugene)
- Linn-Benton Community College (Albany)
- Mt. Hood Community College (Gresham)
- Oregon Coast Community College (Newport)
- Portland Community College (Portland)
- Rogue Community College (Grants Pass)
- Tillamook Bay Community College (Tillamook)
- Treasure Valley Community College (Ontario)
- Umpqua Community College (Roseburg)