Who We Are and What We Do!
CARE Connections, your local Child CARE Resources & Referral, is a part of the Childhood Education and Family Studies Department of Southwestern Oregon Community College. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for people of all ages by providing education, information and support to families and care providers in Coos and Curry Counties. CARE Connections links families and care providers to each other and to other resources in the community.
A brief overview of Childhood Education & Family Studies Programs:
- Child Care Resource and Referral
- QRIS Quality Improvement Rating System
- Types of Child Care
- Employment Related Day Care (ERDC)
- Pathways to Positive Parenting
- Coos & Curry Counties New Sponsor for the Child and Adult Care Food Program
- Early Childhood Education Certificates & Degrees at Southwestern
- A new resource! - Online training hours for child care providers
CARE Connections Announcements & Events
To provide quality education, training, support, and referral services to children, families, child care providers and community partners, while promoting regional partnerships focused on improving quality of care and early education that supports all children in reaching their potentials.
For Information about Class dates, times and locations, please contact:
Phone: 541.888.7957 / 1.800.611.7555
Curry County - Liz Cohen
Coos & Curry email firstname.lastname@example.org
Training Calendars For more information, please call 541.888.7957 / 800.611.7555
For more information, please call 541.888.7957 / 800.611.7555
Care Connections Programs
Child CARE Resource and Referral
Child Care Resource and Referral links parents, child care providers, employers and the community to provide accessible, affordable, quality child care to all children. From the database, staff give parents referrals to a variety of child care settings. Parents receive education on how to choose safe, appropriate child care and information on community resources.
Providers on the database receive referrals and support for their child care business. Resource and Referral offers training so providers can become professional in the child care and education field.
Coos: 541.888.7957 / 800.611.7555
8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday
Pathways to Positive Parenting Program
The Pathways of Positive Parenting project guides and educates parents as they lead their children to social/emotional growth and development and academic readiness.
Contact Kathy Barber: 541.888.7123 or to register for a class call: 541.888.1588
Visit the Website
QRIS Quality Rating Improvement System
This innovative program seeks to raise the quality and consistency of child care and learning programs. The QRIS connects caregivers and educators with tools, financial incentives and professional advice to ensure the children in their program are better prepared for school. It also gives parents expert, unbiased information to make informed decisions about child care options.
For local assistance in participating in the QRIS in Coos & Curry Counties, please contact CARE Connections email@example.com
To become a licensed Child Care Provider you must complete these necessary steps:
- Complete Overview Class – FREE Class through CARE Connections
- Become registered through the Child Care Division’s Central Background Registry
- Complete Recognizing & Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect Class
- Obtain a Food Handler’s card (self-study packet, class or online)
- Have a current Infant/Child CPR & First Aid certification
- Submit application and complete licensing process with the Child Care Division, including on-site health and safety visits from a Child Care Division specialist.
Classes are provided once a month through Care Connections Child Care Resource & Referral. Please call us for more information about schedules and fees.
1988 Newmark Ave.
Coos Bay, Oregon 97420
Southwestern Curry Campus
96082 Lone Ranch Pkwy
Brookings, OR 97415
Becoming a Child Care Provider in Oregon
Oregon Registry: Pathways to Professional Recognition in Childhood Care & Education
Welcome to the Oregon Registry Program!
The Oregon Registry: Pathways for Professional Recognition in Childhood Care and Education is a voluntary, statewide program to document and recognize the professional achievements of people who work in the childhood care and education profession.
The Oregon Registry recognizes two pathways for professional development:
- A degree or certificate pathway
- A college course credit or community based training pathway
The Oregon Registry recognizes that individuals may use a variety of sources to gain increased knowledge in the core body of knowledge for the profession.
The Oregon Registry Steps are the sequence from Enrollment through Step 12 in the Oregon Registry. Each step represents increased training and education in the Oregon Core Body of Knowledge for the Childhood Care and Education Profession.
The Oregon Registry:
- Promotes life-long learning for childhood care and education professionals.
- Recognizes the training and education of childhood care and education professionals.
- Recognizes the professional experience, personal attributes, and commitment to a professional code of ethical conduct.
- Contributes to a professional, well trained, and educated workforce.
The Oregon Registry:
- Provides a structured way for people to enter into and to advance within the field.
- Provides a basis for status, benefits, and incentives for professionals in the field.
- Promotes quality of care through learning a core body of knowledge.
The Oregon Registry recognizes the professional enhancements of:
- length of professional experience
- achievement of personal attributes
- commitment to the professional code of ethical conduct
If you have any additional questions or comments about the Oregon Registry, you may contact CARE Connections in Coos County at 541.888.7957 or 1.800.611-7555 and in Curry County at 541. 813. 1674x254.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND/OR APPLICATIONS:
Child Care Food Handlers:
Oregon Child Care Central Coordination
Find online child care referral link, tips for providers, and other resource information regarding child care in Oregon.
Other Important Information:
- Online Central Background Registry
- Tom Copeland's Taking Care of Your Child Care Business
- Child Care Aware [PDF].
Office of Child Care Rules
- Rules for Certified Child Care Centers
- Rules for Certified Family Child Care Homes
- Rules for Registered Family Child Care Homes
How To Chose Quality Childcare
211 – Your resource for child care and so much more!
Kim L. Yasutake
Center Certification Specialist, Child Care Division
119 N. Oakdale Avenue, Medford, OR 97501
Phone: 541.776.6060 ext. 296
Home Child Care Licensing Specialist, Child Care Division
119 N. Oakdale Avenue, Medford, OR 97501
Phone: 541.776.6060 ext. 234
La Oficina de Cuidado Infantil le podría proveer servicios en el idioma de su preferencia. Favor de llamar al 1-800-556-6616 para ser conectado con un representante para que le ayude.