What is Disability Services for Students?
Disability Services for Students (DSS), located in the Educational Support Programs and Services department in Stensland Hall, provides services, advocacy, and support to students with documented disabilities.
DSS also provides assistance to the general campus community in responding appropriately to students with disabilities by providing reasonable accommodations based on disability documentation.
What services are available to students with disabilities?
- Note taking: DSS provides assistance to students who, because of their disability, are unable to take notes.
- Alternate print format: Students who have a disability that prevents them from reading standard print can access books on alternative format through the DSS Office and other organizations.
- Sign Language interpreter: DSS provides interpreting services for students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Equipment lending: DSS will lend equipment to students who are unable to afford assistive technology. The student will be responsible financially if the equipment is damaged or not returned.
- Alternative testing setting and extended test time: Students who require a separate and quiet testing area will be allowed to take their exams outside of the classroom. Extra time for exams will be provided when appropriate.
- Other exam modifications: When appropriate, students will be allowed to use a scribe, reader or adaptive equipment to assist them in the testing setting.
- Other reasonable academic accommodations will be provided on a case-by-case basis dependent on recommendations by the faculty and the DSS Office.
What do I do if I think I need services?
If you think you are eligible for services, call DSS (541.888.7405) and make an appointment with the DSS Coordinator. At that meeting you will be able to discuss the documentation process, services available, and your educational goals. You and the coordinator will determine which services are appropriate for you.
What documentation do I need to receive services?
Eligibility Requirements for Academic Accommodations General Information