Southwestern Oregon Community College (Southwestern) is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Southwestern is located within two miles of the Pacific Ocean in an area of scenic beauty and mild climate. The 153-acre institution lies completely within the city of Coos Bay and is bordered on the north and east by the city of North Bend.
- 4 computer labs
- Free Tutoring in all subjects Monday to Friday
- Student Housing
- Rec Center
- Bookstore (books & supplies)
Student Safety is #1
Southwestern Oregon Community College has 24-hour security, 7-days a week, 365 days a year! Our professional security staff is friendly and helpful.
Certificates and Degrees
Southwestern currently offers 26 One-Year or less certificates and over 80 two-year transfer degrees. The curricula of programs are approved by the Oregon State Board of Education and are subject to periodic evaluation.
Most popular areas of study: Business Administration, Computer Science, Education, General Science, and Nursing
Enrollment has grown from 266 students in 1961 to over 10,000 students annually. Staff has grown from 15 to approximately 60 full-time faculty and from 11 to over 175 part-time instructors. Cultural and athletic events at the College attract 20,000 men, women and children each year.
90% of SOCC students live within five miles of the campus
13:1 Ratio of students to instructors
Why Students Enroll Here
- Academic transfer degrees - 60%
- Career degrees - 30%
- Continuing education classes - 3%
- GED, basic skills, & family education - 5%
- Undecided - 2%
Southwestern is proud to be one of only 3 community colleges in the state to offer on-campus housing!
- Free High-Speed Internet
- Monthly cultural events
- Free parking
- 2-Laundry facilities
- Free satellite television
- Shared-common area
- Free local calls
- Endless opportunity to meet other students
- 5-minute walk to campus, library, and recreation center
- 4-bedroom apartments with 2 bathrooms
- Resident advisors - student peers to support and provide information
- Fully furnished with a full kitchen including fridge and stove
- Across from campus features fast-food restaurants, as well as shopping center
Note: Native speakers of English from Australia , Canada , New Zealand , and United Kingdom are not required to provide proof of English Proficiency.