Transfer without a degree is an option for Southwestern students. A student may select a major and transfer school, then take only the specific courses required for that major and/or college. Students in certain majors may need to transfer after one year to take advantage of critical major courses offered in the sophomore year. When a student opts for direct transfer, Southwestern courses are evaluated and accepted on a course-by-course basis by the transfer institution.

Direct transfer students must meet the transfer schools’ "freshman" or "transfer admission" requirements. Catalogs from transfer institutions contain information about credit hour and grade point average requirements and transfer application procedures.


Success in the transfer process is largely the result of careful planning. It is each student’s responsibility to learn the program requirements of any prospective transfer school, and to keep up to date on changes in those requirements. Therefore, students should periodically contact the Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) Office and/or the transfer institution for updates. Prudent use of available resources and advising can help ensure smooth transition to a four-year institution.

Students can benefit from following these tips for successful transfer:

  • Plan Ahead: Enroll in HD100: College Success and Survival and/or contact an advisor during your first term at Southwestern to develop an education plan. If you need help with choosing a major or career, enroll in HD140 Career/Education Exploration or HD208 Career/Life Plan. Consider taking HD215 Transfer Success.
  • Maintain Contact: Establish early contact with admissions representatives and major advisors at Southwestern and transfer institutions. Keep in touch with them in order to keep up to date on major and transfer requirements.
  • Know the Rules: Pay attention to GPA and transfer credit policies, application deadlines and both general education and major course requirements of transfer institutions.
  • Confirm Transferability of Courses: Not all 100-200 level courses transfer to all four-year schools. Transfer colleges have the "last say" on transferability.
  • Utilize Transfer Resources: The Educational Support Programs and Services (ESPS) Office, quarterly Transfer Days and Southwestern faculty advisors are key sources of information and guidance.
  • Ask for Help: Make sure you have current and complete information; ask for what you need to complete the transfer process successfully.


If a student has a problem transferring classes to a college or university, the student should first try to resolve the problem through contact with the transfer institution. Southwestern advisors may be of assistance in such cases. However, if a problem cannot be resolved, the student may call the Transfer Problem Hotline at the Oregon Department of Education for help. The hotline number is 503-378-8609, ext 367.


  • AS Childhood Education and Family Studies – Eastern Oregon University and Portland State University
  • AAS Childhood Education and Family Studies – Southern Oregon University
  • AS Criminal Justice – Southern Oregon University
  • AS Forestry - Oregon State University
  • AS Physical Education - Eastern Oregon University
  • AAS Business Management/Entrepreneurship - Southern Oregon University and Oregon Institute of Technology
  • AA/OT and AS/OT– Oregon University System