Southwestern Oregon Community College introduces the Rural Education Affordable Learning (REAL) Team, an initiative aimed at ensuring college success for young men ages 18 to 24 in rural Oregon.
According to the Ford Family Foundation, college enrollment among male students in Oregon has declined significantly in the last 14 years and most dramatically in rural communities. Southwestern is one of four Oregon community colleges to receive three years of grant funding to grapple with this inequity.
Team REAL is actively recruiting prospective students to participate in this unique opportunity to benefit from extra support in college.
Program participants will receive the following:
- Free textbooks: Southwestern understands the financial burdens that can hinder college success, which is why participants will receive textbooks free of charge. By eliminating this expense, we aim to alleviate one of the key barriers to academic achievement.
- Tuition benefits for persistence: Participants who demonstrate persistence and dedication will have the opportunity to receive tuition benefits, further incentivizing their success.
- Mentoring and advising: Team REAL is dedicated to providing individualized support, pairing participants with experienced mentors who will guide them throughout their college journey. These mentors will offer invaluable insights, ensuring that students receive the guidance they need to thrive.
- Workplace internships: Hands-on experience is instrumental in developing practical skills and fostering career readiness. Team REAL participants will have access to a variety of workplace internships, allowing them to gain valuable professional experience while building networks in their desired fields.
- Community-based learning: Through community-based projects and initiatives, participants will have the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills, making a positive impact in their local communities.
- Social activities and camaraderie: College is not only about academics; it’s also about forming lifelong connections and enjoying a vibrant social life. Team REAL will offer a range of engaging social activities and opportunities for participants to forge lasting friendships, creating a sense of camaraderie and belonging.
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to unlock your potential and achieve college success! For more information about Team REAL and to see if you or someone you know qualifies to start this coming Fall 2023, contact Robert Heath, Southwestern’s College Success Coach, by email at email@example.com or call 541-888-1527.